What a whirlwind experience. This year Techstars held their global conference, FounderCon, right in my own, beloved backyard of Cincinnati. It was really great for the StartupCincy community to have so many dedicated startup tech entrepreneurs and investors on our own home turf.
A few of the highlights:
- Defy Ventures is doing awesome work with prison inmates, leveraging entrepreneurship as a path to economic freedom and reducing recitivism
- Google Ventures is… well.. badass. Would you expect anything less from Google though?
- Pledge 1% is making a big push to get all early stage companies to pledge 1% to social good. That can be 1% of sales, 1% of profits, 1% of labor resources… not really all that specific.
- B-Corps are going to be a much bigger thing in the future, you can already see the impact corporate shared value approaches are having on capital models.
- Rhinegeist is an awesome place to have a party.
- Techstars John wears very dapper hats. He’s also a pretty cool dude.
- Brad Feld is a really smart, interesting guy with a million ideas a second.